Building Stamina: Cultivating a Positive White Racial Identity - Part 1 How Can I have a Positive Racial Identity?
Building Stamina: Cultivating a Positive White Racial Identity that Supports Positive Participation in Conversations about Race (5 Sessions)
These sessions are for white folks who want to participate in conversations about race more productively. This is an opportunity for white people to self-reflect, ask questions, and enter in conversation with each other in an effort to better understand whiteness and privilege as well as interpersonal and systemic structures that facilitate opportunity for some and limit opportunity for others. No previous experience talking about race or whiteness is necessary. A willingness to listen, learn, and have what you know questioned is required.
The following sessions are being offered:
- June 14, Thursday - Session 1: How Can I Have a Positive Racial Identity? I'm White! -- TedTalk Screening and Discussion
- June 21, Thursday - Session 2: Why Does Privilege Make People So Angry? -- MTV Video Screening and Discussion
- July 10, Tuesday - Session 3: How Studying Privilege Systems Can Strengthen Compassion -- TedTalk Screening and Discussion
- July 12, Thursday - Session 4: What Beyonce Taught Me about Race -- Ted Talk Screening and Discussion
- July 19, Thursday - Session 5: White People: I Don't Want You to Understand Me Better, I Want You to Understand Yourselves -- Reading of Short Article and Discussion
- Thursday, June 14, 2018
- 12:00pm - 12:50pm
- Library 114
- Meridith Oram